Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cancerversary: Kyle weighs in.

A few words from Kyle
---------------------------

Tomorrow is the one year mark since my cancer diagnosis. 

What a year it has been!

26 chemo treatments. 
10 or so PET scans. 
Stomach scope, port placement surgery, 
radiated beads in my liver, and a liver biopsy. 

It has had some low moments, but many more sweet 
tender happy moments with my wife, my kids, 
family and friends. 

I've found in a year of terminal cancer that 
people either run to you or run away from you. 
There doesn't seem to be a middle ground here.

I have made a deliberate decision to never 
be angry at the people that run. And I am SO 
grateful for the people that have run to me. 

The sweetness of those relationships is indescribable. 

A year ago they said I had 6 to 18 months to live. 

I am realistic to know I will not beat this cancer. 
It just doesn't happen. 
At Stage 4.  
Maybe someday, but it is not yet that day.

But today I am pretty strong and I feel good 
most hours of the day. 

I don't look great but I look decent. 
It's not like I started out looking that good
in the first place. 

I intend to be around a little more than a 
year from now to watch Josh graduate from college, 
and see Grace graduate from high school, and Eliza
graduate from Jr High and Olivia sail out of
elementary school. 

I hope for more time beyond that. 
Who knows? I do know I will fight every day and 
I will do my best to stay positive and keep smiling.

My brother Bud asked me a few weeks back 
if I had a "bucket list". I told him about a few 
things and I have since worked on the list below. 

At one point I had to finish all my house 
projects as a bucket list, but lately I have 
realized I really don't want that list to end. 

As long as my wife needs me to finish a few 
jobs then I need to keep hanging around to finish
jobs for her.  She keeps making lists for me.

I don't throw this list out to the world so people can 
make this list their problem. I just figured if 
a few people knew and you're headed to one of these 
places or have a connection then maybe you can help me 
cross something off my list. 

Here is my bucket list:

Backpack to grand gulch
One more trip through The Subway in Zion 
Backpack to the Unitas 
A day on the lake in a boat
Early spring trip to Moab 
I love NYC. It's never old for me. 
I could go once a month. 
I hope I get to go there again. 
Many more annual beach trips
Glacier national park
Trip through paria canyon
Tag along on a good lake Powell trip. 
Sit on the river and watch a good fly fisherman catch fish. 
Get to The Grand Canyon. Crazy but I've never been there.
One Jazz game with really good tickets. 
See Antelope Canyon in Arizona 
A few more concerts....
Mumford and sons, Avett Brothers, U2, 
Willie Nelson, Prince, Rage Against the Machine, 
Vampire Weekend. 
(Just to name a few that would be cool to see.) 
A few more nights by a fire and sleeping in a tent. 
One NFL game. 
Is it still too late to learn to ski? (Yes-this is his wife)
Places I would still like to see- San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, somewhere in the south. 
Sky dive
Eat a really good steak in good steak restaurant


Listen a terminal guy can always have goals right?
And dream.

And that's what Kyle has for today.
Tomorrow Dorien shares a few thoughts on the
past year.  We like to celebrate big around here.
And figure it's worthy of two blog posts anyway.  





Finishing the last bag.
March 3, 2014
Chemo Drip, Huntsman Cancer Institute.
(Where angels disguise themselves as nurses and humans)

1 comment:

  1. I like your places to see. I've lived in Seattle and Portland (loved both when I was there) and currently I'm in California close enough to visit the Bay Area and really love it there too. I haven't however ever been to Chicago. I did sadly live in Montana for several years and never made it to glacier national park.

    ReplyDelete