Tuesday, July 9, 2013

New York Day 2

Our usual subway stop
This is what "Chemo Day" looks like in NYC
Norma's
Eliza*Kyle*Grace
Bread infused with sugar, topped with powder sugar, drizzled with liquid sugar.
Yup that pretty much describes breakfast at Norma's.
Although Kyle always goes "savory".


Flatiron
Black & White cookie


Subway Art

Not sure if they're speaking to me yet since I made them do this
Times Square
You can't tell but the "Preacher" behind Kyle was blessing him with health. 
(I'm teasing)  Actually he may have been proclaiming the 2nd coming of Christ
and helping the policeman behind HIM direct traffic.

Johns ceiling 

Day Two was a mixed bag of activities.

Kyle (who even with cancer is STILL insane and loves his
girls) took his girls to the early morning concert at the
Today Show.

Hunter Hayes (some teeny boper singer person --that's how
much *I* know) was singing at the free Summer Concert
Series at the Today Show.

So they got up at 5:30 A.M. to hoof it down see him.
The rest of us lazy people slept in til 7:30 and met up
for breakfast at Norma's.

Josh, who ALSO has a built in GPS like his father, 
successfully navigated the subway system and led us 
straight to the restaurant without even looking at his
phone for directions once.

How does he do that?  Leave me alone in the city and
I take the UPTOWN subway when I should be going 
DOWNTOWN.

Breakfast at Norma's (which is always the "splurge"
of our NYC trips) was amazing, like always.

The food is divine and over priced and fabulous.
Did I mention fabulous?

The little girls wanted to spend some hard earned money
(of THEIRS) at Dillon's Candy Bar....so we let them.

The girls and I saw Wicked, this was Puddy's first time
and she LOVED it.  We got the "secret" cheap seats 
that are right on the 2nd and 3rd row.  Considered
"obstructed view" (and they are at times)--but SO worth
it.

You can see the actors sweat you're that close.

They are the $60 seats mixed right in with the $300 seats.
Same row and everything.

A few "Broadway insider" websites (where I researched and found them) call them the "best kept secret on Broadway"...
A statement I definitely agree with.

In the meantime Kyle and Josh hit Katz's Deli for a HUGE
sandwich ....and some "hat" shops and some T Shirt shops.

We all met up in Times Square for the evening.

More shopping for the girls and dinner at Johns Pizza.

--------------------------------------------

My funny story for today is actually from TWO summers ago
when Kyle graduated from his program at Columbia.

We had gone back alone for the graduation and he abandoned
me in the hotel room for meetings and dinners and luncheons...
none of which I was invited to.

(Which was fine).

I didn't know if I dared venture out alone since I was in
an unfamiliar part of town on an unfamiliar subway line
and ALONE!

(I must mention I NEVER EVER feel nervous travelling in NYC-
maybe I should, but I don't.)

Anyway, I decided to venture out and meet him for some time
in the city after his activities.

I found the subway stop and was very proud of myself for
getting on alone.

I started watching stops as we came to them and realized I
was heading UPTOWN.

I was SUPPOSED to be going DOWNTOWN. 

Oops.

Unlike Kyle and Josh, I have NO GPS, built in or otherwise.
Either that or I left it back home in Salt Lake sitting
on my bed.

So I got off the wrong train, climbed the subway steps, found cell service and started texting the following people:

1. Kyle

2. Amy (our friend that lives there)

3. Scott (our friend that works there)

and just for good measure

4. Mark (our friend that was visiting)

When one is lost,
one must cover all their bases, 
and I was completely lost.

My responses were as follows:

1.  Kyle, gave me step by step instructions of what to do
from where I stood.

2.  Amy, told me to call her.

3.  Scott, asked if I could see the Empire State Building.
(I could, but I was still lost so that didn't help much).

4. Mark, asked if I wanted to meet them and go shopping
with his daughters. (If I could have found them, that would've
been an option!)

While I was texting, and responding to texts, a kind looking
gentleman tapped me on the shoulder.

He explained HE was lost and asked if I could help him.

To which I burst out laughing and explained my predicament.


We both laughed and found a nice looking group of "bikers"
standing on the corner that looked approachable.
(motorcycles, beards, leather vests and all) 

They helped BOTH of us get on our way again.

Moral of the story?

When you get lost in New York City?  

You can NEVER have enough friends to help you out of 
your predicament.  

That's what I've got for today!

P.S. These are all AWFUL Iphone photos....STILL trying to get
my good pics downloaded...our computer (or the person
downloading-ahem-)seems to be able to only get certain pic's downloaded and not all of them from the trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment