Monday, July 22, 2013

Question and Answers: Part 4

Q; What does the 'port' look like? (I don't really want to know, but then I kind of do. I'd probably pass out if I saw it.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Answer:  Here is what a port looks like in pictures.  It's really not as bad as you think.
              (probably).  It's about the size of a quarter and is surgically implanted in
              the chest UNDER the skin.  For blood draws or chemo, a needle is inserted
              into the port and left there during the course of treatment.  After chemo
              has finished for the week a shot of heparin is injected to (hopefully) keep
              blood clots from forming.  (A side worry with a port).


     This is the port before being put inside a body (None of these pics are Kyle, just random
     ones I pulled off of the internet).  The port itself is the "quarter size thing" and it also have
12-14" of tubing that go into Kyle's vein and end right near his heart.  Yup, that's where the 
chemo drips now each week.  Amazing isn't it?



 This is where it goes inside the body....



 This is what is looks like under the skin.  Kind of like a (very) large mosquito bite...you get the idea.? (This is a real port picture on someone else)



This is what it looks like with IV lines hanging "out of it"--although for chemo there is just
ONE line (couldn't find a "one line" picture..but hopefully you get the idea).

Hopefully that answers your port questions and hopefully no one passed out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q:  Are you now tempted to try different things; smoke pot, eat some magic mushrooms, or just smoke like a really fat cigar?


Answer:  LOL...this makes me laugh.  
              I (Dorien) keep threatening to do SOMETHING, almost daily. Sigh.               
              Not that I will.  (hopefully).  But cancer, and the stresses it brings, somedays
              are OVERWHELMING.   O.V.E.R.W.H.E.L.M.I.N.G.

              If you (any of you) literally walked a day in EITHER of our shoes, from the
              inside?  You would "get it"....you wouldn't even blame us if we DID
              do something crazy.  We're not planning on it, but you would understand
              why, if you were in my flip flops and Kyle's tennis shoes,you would want to.  
              I'm just sayin'...
         
              So, if at any point during this, I fall off the deep end?  Please please
              don't hold it against me.  Again, NOT planning on it, but I just don't 
              know how much *I* can do before I break.

              People always say that (dumb stupid) thing "God doesn't give you more
              than you can handle."  To which I call B.S.  Sometimes life (not God)--
              DOES give us more than we can handle.  This one?  It's FREAKING hard.

              Here's what I will promise:  To make NO promises. :)

              Some times it feels like it would be nice to escape reality in a mind altering
              way.  But at this point in our journey, the answer is "NO".

              I do have a few stories from friends that HAVE used pot to deal with end
              stage cancer pain.  They share it was the ONLY way to make it through,
              and bear the pain, and find a way to eat.  (This would be the patient, not
              the caregiver!) ;)

              For now?  We are not tempted.  I'm sticking with Dt Dr Pepper (which really
              only ADDS to the my "edge" and doesn't take anything off. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How long do the Dr's estimate that Kyle had cancer before he was             diagnosed?
              

Answer:  Our first opinion Dr said he guesses Kyle had cancer about 1 1/2 yrs growing
              inside him.

              Our 2nd opinion Dr said he guesses about 2 years.

              Liver cancer (along the lines of pancreatic and stomach--all the "gut" cancers)
              are sometimes labeled the "silent killers" of cancer.

              Because for them, these types of cancer, they usually present NO symptoms
              until they are Stage 3 or Stage 4 cancers. 

              So when they become incurable is when they present with symptoms sadly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Did any doctors screw up in this process? 8 out of 10 interactions with a medical professional have some kind of 'error' associated with it. Whether it is a misdiagnosis or a wrongly coded test or diagnoses code...it's SHOCKING how often they mess up.

Answer:
SHOCKINGLY, it seems like there have been no BIG mistakes (screw ups) made along he way here with diagnosis.  All the scans and tests and reports we've seen say "Cholangiocarcinoma".  And seem to be pretty much in line with what we've been told.

I'm sure there are mistakes along the way.

As you may or may not know, Kyle is the Clinic Administrator for a Doctor Clinic.
(Family Practice)---so his first hand knowledge of the world of all things medical is
pretty good.  He knows more than I do sometimes.

I just keep looking at bills (mostly in SHOCK) at the cost of treatment.  Thank goodness
for insurance.  It seems INSANE to me that the hospital can bill the insurance for $7800
for each chemo treatment.  It seems insane that people WITHOUT insurance have to
choose.  There are SO MANY things about Healthcare in general that seem INSANE to
me.  (Oh, I have an opinion when it comes to healthcare in our country--I don't have
any good answers, but I have LOTS of opinions.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Actually I have to elaborate on this--in RE-thinking the whole process, there was
a lot of "guessing" at the beginning re: other diagnosis/wrong diagnosis (nobody even going down the "cancer path")  I will do another blog post*******

And NOT to fault the medical community, I DO think a LOT of things they
do are simply a... "best educated guess"--sometimes I think that in the process there ARE
screaming "red flags" that are sometimes missed, or brushed over. (Because WHO
jumps right to terminal cancer, right? ....when making a diagnosis).

I will add this to my questions to answer. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Q: So once the port was in, do they just pump the medicine in?


Answer:  They simply put a needle in the port, hook that to an IV and then run meds
              into that.   The port also is accessed for blood draws and labs.



Those are the answers I've got for today!

Round 13 on Friday at the Huntsman went just fine.

Kyle had some great visitors who helped the day go by quickly.

Our AWESOME wonderful P.A. Shelley told us she was leaving for a new job--we are
about heartbroken over this news.  It's amazing how "attached" you get to your Docs,
and nurses and PA's in this process!  :(

Shelley was amazing and we loved her straight forward attitude and no nonsense
approach.  She was all that with just the right amount of caring and concern mixed in.

We will REALLY miss seeing her each week, and wish her the best with her new job.

Kyle and I were pretty sad to hear the news.

Anyway, I guess life goes on, right?

That's what we've got for today....a few more answers to a few more questions!








7 comments:

  1. May I ask how much your share after insurance ends up costing you? And...Granny & Gramps & I have something to bring you for Chemo Friday. We were going to come on Thursday night, but they want to see you at Chemo and get a feel for where you are. I will bring them up Friday morning if that works. We won't stay long as we know you have a stream of visitors. Text me with where to come and can we come about 10:00am? Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorien, What made you decide that you just had to push, push, push for a diagnosis? Was it just a "gut" feeling that something was going on that Doctors were missing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy--we have an "out of pocket" family deductible that has to be met every year. There are also co-pays (for things like PET scans, CT scans, biopsies, etc). This year, lets just say within ONE week we hit our annual deductible. :) So starting in 2014, we will start all over again.

    I think it would be great for the Greats (and you) and ANYONE to see and get a feel for what "chemo day" is. It's not nearly as bad as people think, I think. But it DOES make it "real".

    This week we have "straight to chemo week" (no Dr visit--so a shorter day--only 6 ish hours instead of 8 ha ha)--
    We will be in the Infusion Room from 8 AM on this week--stop by anytime (Kyle will be done by 2-3 pm depending on how long it takes to get started).

    Huntsman Center, Infusion Room, 2nd floor....can't miss it (north end of building).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb,

    I will (and have answered this a little in beginning blog posts)--will answer a bit more.

    But YES, a total gut feeling--knowing Kyle for 25 yrs, knowing he was NEVER sick (let alone for 2 months), just feeling more and more panicked like the Drs were missing a huge red flag--

    It was ME, through Kyle, that made them actually get to CT scans. He said "you guys had better do something else, my wife is freaking out about this..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you gut feeling, and being a "naggon" (it's a term of endearment in our house), that persistence bought you time....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about Shelley. I remember my very first chemo nurse, Darren. He was so gentle and tender and caring which was so important because I was so scared the very first time. Then, when I went for my second chemo treatment I had a different nurse. I remember feeling a bit panicked because I wanted Darren to take care of me. Before it was all over, every nurse in the rotation took care of me several times, and I grew to love them all. Darren, however, will always hold a special place in my heart above the others because he made a frightening event much more bearable. Now I go back every three months for blood work, and I recognize nobody on the chemo staff or in the infusion room. Although I spent countless hours there in 2010 and 2011, it now feels like a strange place where I have never before been. Last week one of the medical assistants that I met three years ago was there. I was so excited to see her I gave her a great big hug! It is very comforting to have the familiarity with the staff that you know and love...somehow you just know that you can trust them with your life...literally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will be there Friday - so excited to share some time with both of you. Bringing you a special treat and time with Granny & Gramps is priceless time also! :)

    ReplyDelete