Monday, June 10, 2013

A note to Ellen Foley....

The phone rang early this morning and a stranger asked for
me.

It was a call from all the way back East.

A woman I had never met that had heard of our story through
her daughter via a link, of a link, of a link in this interconnected virtual world.

She introduced herself as "Ellen", an 8 year cancer survivor
who was originally given 7 months to live.

She was "terminal."

At age 44, the same as Kyle.

It hasn't been a piece of cake, but she's still here.

She's 52 now.  She has a grandchild.  She watched her
children finish school.

She read my post from yesterday and wanted to tell me to never
give up hope.

Never, ever, ever, ever give up hope.

You never ever know what your story will be.

I thanked her and told her she was inspired to make that call.

All the way across the country to a stranger in need.

In a desperate dark hour.

I needed that reminder today.

Don't give up hope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Another stranger in this virtual world, contacted me via Facebook messages.  

He wanted to remind me to take ONE DAY AT A TIME and to NOT worry what ANYONE else thinks, or says, or judges us by.

Until they have walked a mile in our shoes, they have NO CLUE
what it's like.

They don't know the intricate details of our life and can only make poor judgements based on limited knowledge.

He told me to cherish EACH day, EACH moment, EACH memory and take ONLY a step at a time.  

One day.  Just one day at a time.


That's all we can do in this volatile situation.

He has good reason to give advice.  

He has watched a father die.

A mother die.

A sibling die.

All from cancer.

He knows what he's talking about.

Cherish each day.

Don't worry about judgement.

I needed that reminder today.

Strangers with advice to take it "a step at a time."
Breath in.  Breath out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Another friend sent a message from his flight after reading my blog post yesterday.

He had no good words, only a message of love and virtual hug.

It was all I needed.

To be loved and hugged.

Not scolded and badgered and reprimanded about what we are,
or are not, doing right or wrong in this our personal journey.

Just love.

Love is all you need.

I needed that reminder today.

To know that we are loved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------


For you see, just when I think that God has abandoned me,
and left me alone to flail helplessly in these murky waters,
a kind hand reaches out to hold mine.

Yet again.

I cannot do it without these hands, who (I believe and hope) are acting in God's name here on earth.

Rushing in to comfort me and hold me, when I seem to find myself
at the end of my virtual ropes of hope and comfort.

Sometimes it feels like I have been abandoned, in spite of my most heartfelt pleas.

I feel like they are falling on deaf ears.

I feel like the arms of heaven have been withdrawn and I am alone.

Then, someone steps in and holds me up.

To those who have reached, and are reaching and will continue
to reach.

Bless you and thank you.

We could not breath, and live, and survive without your hands.

To give us reminders of hope.

And taking it a day at a time.

And love.

This is what I've got for today.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

For listening and acting.

Thank you.











4 comments:

  1. It is going to be a good day for you because you are meeting ME!! I have had Intra Hepatic Cholangiocarcinoma for over two years (diagnosed) and they predict I had it for 3 years before I was diagnosed judging by the size of my tumor. I have read a lot of your blog and wonder if my husband has the same feelings. He is my "caregiver" and is always by my side at chemo, visits to MD Anderson in Houston, Tx., preparing supper a lot of times.....he retired from the Illinois State Police 3 years ago this July and I am resigning from my job at the end of this month. I look forward to hearing back from you...please feel free to check out my cancer jouney blog at pattysjourneyoffaith@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! Nice to meet you! From what I hear MD Anderson there in Houston is TOP NOTCH for fighting this cancer! I will ck. out your blog! Best wishes to you on your journey with this cancer as well! Sending good thoughts and wishes your way! (I went to High School right outside Houston....small world!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I stumbled across your blog via a post about your family on Facebook marching in the Pride parade. I was impressed by that and followed the link back to your blog and have been reading during slow times at work. My heart goes out to your family. Sending peaceful and healing hopeful wishes to Kyle and all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone, but I understand feeling alone and abandoned!

    ReplyDelete