Thursday, June 27, 2013

Snapshots of New York City. Part One, in which I speak of True Love.

Listen, I won't bore you with ALL of our pictures.

And I won't give a "play by play" of our trip.

That would take weeks, and you know what they say?

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

What I will do is give you a few days in posts of all
our adventures.

New York City is vibrant, and alive.

It hums and thrums and beats and has it's very own rhythm.

At ALL hours of the day and night.

I think people either LOVE it or HATE it.

We LOVE it!

We are so grateful for the chance we had to go to a place
we love.

We are grateful to my "Britches" (of the "Fancy" kind).

We are grateful to skymile donors.

We are grateful to the Wilcox family for letting us 
crash in their apartment while they were packing up
and moving.  (That right there folks??  That's true love!)

Without further adieu ...



 We found not only one, but TWO kinds of Superman Shoes
at Yellow Rat B*stard (a funky clothing store).  
We didn't buy any, but we had to take a photo or two.


 Lots of waiting for the subway.  This is how we traveled.

 Seriously, EVERY DAY we could have eaten pizza there.
 Big Gay Ice Cream was FABULOUS, soft serve with 
fun toppings and even funner names.
I had the "Salty Pimp"...delish!


 I love all the open air fresh flower and fruit stands in they city.  They make the streets so pretty!

 It was hot, some foot soaking was necessary.
 The Rock, we go to the Top and loose a child in a few days.
Stay Tuned.

 They were all so happy I took so many pictures!

Oh all right you talked me into it....

I will tell ONE STORY (funny or otherwise) from each day.

This was our first day here.

Thursday. 

After walking, and eating, our way through town we stopped in 

Washington Square Park to rest and soak our feet in the fountain like all the other tourists.

I'm not sure this is even allowed and we may have stooped
to "beige trash" status (which is ONE STEP above "white trash").

Listen, if we're going to be trashy, we still like to play 
it cool!

On the bench behind was a couple (how shall I say this?)...

...Passionately engaged in physical contact.

They appeared to be homeless.  Or wandering travelers.

They were clothed (thank goodness), however a bit scantily.

What they looked like they needed was a hotel room.

And a bath.   Or both.

As luck would have it, which often happens in New York City--
(the luck part)--A group from Planned Parenthood was roaming
the park handing out free condoms.

(They skipped our family--it appears they didn't think we 
need any.  Luck OR condoms.)

Or maybe they figured with 4 kids, it was just simply 
too late for either the luck OR the condoms.

(ha ha ha)

When they got to this couple, they presented them with an
entire box, instead of just the usual "one" they had been
handing out.

At which point, the woman got off the park bench and went to...
erm... "bathe" in the fountain.

Whilst she was bathing, her "man" got out a Lice Kit Removal
box from his bags and proceeded to rub it through her hair 
upon her return from said bath.

He then diligently took the lice comb and began combing 
through and removing lice from her head.

Now that there folks?

That's true love.

Kyle...I may have to change your diapers at some point.

But when it comes to lice?

You had better be calling someone else!

So that's what I've got for today.

True Love in the Big Apple.

Wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it with my 
very own eyes!

I love Manhattan.

Love, Lice, Beige Trash and All!





1 comment:

  1. Dorien,
    I don't know you or your family, and I will likely never meet you. I heard about your story and your blog through my sister, who is married to one of Kyle's cousins (Joe G). I just wanted to let you know, that although you may not realize it, through this world wide web that we are all connected to, you have one more cheerleader rooting for your husband and your family here in Colorado. I peek in here occassionally and I am always drawn in and touched by your words and those OH SO AMAZING photos! We are around the same age and I have two teenage boys. I often find myself pondering how I would handle your situation if I were in your shoes? You seem to be doing so with such grace and humility, with the right touch of anger, fear and uncertainty. The love you show for your husband and your children is heartwarming.

    You are an EXCELLENT writer. You are funny as H-E-LL, and honest and your writing style is enticing. You've had some funny and interesting experiences! Someday you should put these words on paper. As in a book.

    I am not a religous person (your post about God and Cancer was SPOT ON in my opinion, and that same line of thinking is what got me to my current non-religeous state {How can God help us find car keys, yet allow so much human suffering and heartache?}), so to say I pray for your family would be a lie, since I do not pray. But I do think about you, care for you, wish for the best, and hold out hope for a miracle.

    Sending {{{HUGS}}} from Colorado

    ReplyDelete