Thursday, April 18, 2013

This is what it would look like if Jesus showed up at your house....

I don't mean to get all religious here.

But today I am overwhelmed.

Beyond words, which if you know me, is rare.

Sometime shortly before Kyle's diagnosis I was talking
with some friends online.

They were speaking of hard times, heart ache, and tragedy.

And lack of response from wards.

I said, "Well, if you EVER want to go through a hard time--
my ward is the place to be.  When they step up, they REALLY
step.up.  They are amazing!"

Little did I know I would be on the receiving end of "stepping up" so soon after this conversation.

(darn it!)

Today at 7 a.m., people started showing up to tear off our
old roof and give us a new one.

Before Kyle...well, goes.

So that we have one less thing to worry about during treatment ...and afterwards.

For peace of mind that all things would be in order for us.

We really needed a new roof.

Like really, really.

As I sit in my house (literally weeping, like snot dripping from my nose weeping, like body wrenching sobs weeping, like I forgot my waterproof mascara weeping) at the kindness from these people, these men, these fellow human beings...

I am overwhelmed.

I think,

THIS is what it would be like if Jesus took a day off of work
and showed up at your house.  To love, and serve, and give freely 
of His time. 

And then I think, WAIT!

This *IS* what it looks like when He shows up at your house.

In the form of many many men.

Taking time off of work to be here.

Young and old.

At 7 a.m., I thought SURELY no one will come, can come.
It's Thursday and people have jobs.

Then people started showing up.

And kept showing up.

And are STILL showing up.

My roof is coming off quickly.

Breakfast showed up for the men to eat.

Another kind soul brought it by for them to eat.

No one is complaining.

People are missing work.

Lots of people.

To serve us.

To love us.

To act as He would.

There is literally NO WAY we can ever "pay back" or give enough
thanks for this act of kindness.

NO WAY.

But we will give a HUGE shout out to the Olympus 3rd Ward,
and all those men, and women, who are loving us through this act.

This act that is very very humbling to accept.

(Who deserves something like this?)

So... 

Thank you!
Thank you!

From the very bottom of our hearts.

For just when another moment comes, and we think that we 
cannot move forward through this journey....something else
happens to give us the strength to carry on.

Thank you, all of you, for being "Jesus" today for the Nielson family.  For acting as He would.  As He taught us we all should act.

We are so very blessed to be a part of something bigger than 
ourselves.

We are so very blessed to be a part of this group of people.

It's time for me to go put on my waterproof mascara and
face all of you.

There is still A LOT good in the world, 

Just in case you thought that there wasn't.

(After Boston and all)

A LOT of good in the world.

And that's what I've got for today!








2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I had heard they would do that for you guys. I understand because my ward has been like that for me. Not everyone understands this kind of love and support. I am so happy you have these wonderful people so close by. I do happen to believe that you are a wonderful family and have done many wonderful things for others - so it's your chance to be on the receiving end. It's hard and the reason you need the help still sucks. The love won't stop in that neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete