Monday, January 13, 2014

PET Scan update

To any of our readers a quick note:

IF you don't like this blog?

I'm begging you please don't read it.  
No one is forcing you to.

I'm asking this in my MOST sincere kind,
loving, NON angry, passionate and from the heart
voice.  PLEASE do not read it any other way.
There is NO anger in this post at all.

Mostly just exhaustion.

IF it's too depressing, or has to much swearing,
or is "too real" or too sad or too anything?

Please don't read it.

No one is forcing you to.

If we don't have enough faith or hope
or belief in miracles? 

Don't read it.

We are pretty matter of fact kind of people.
This is how we BOTH have chosen to address this.

BOTH of us.  United.

Sadly we don't believe in unicorns and fairy dust.
OHHHH how I wish we did.  
Life was so much simpler when we did.

Believe.  In unicorns and fairy dust.

Or if you DO chose to continue reading it
and DON'T like it? 

Keep your feelings to yourself.

I will try and not judge you when you're 
going through a living hell.  When your entire
life has flipped upside down.  When you're
watching the father of your 4 kids FIGHT FOR HIS
LIFE.


Knowing what the inevitable end will be.

When you've walked a mile in our shoes?
THEN, and only then, can you make a statement about
how we feel and what we're going through.

Please don't judge our feelings.  They are raw
and real and they include anger and frustration
and hurt and sadness.

They also include love and gratitude and hope
and joy and laughter.

We feel ALL of those things.  

IF your 44 year old husband was going to die
from terminal cancer, you don't know how you
would react, or what you would feel, or think.

We have had a few not very nice messages lately
and honestly we don't appreciate them.

This blog leaves BOTH Kyle and I in a very
vulnerable place with our hearts and feelings.

And for the record, the things we feel?

They are, for the most part, the same things
everyone else going through this cancer feels
to one degree or another.

I've talked enough with my fellow CC wives to 
know this for a fact.

There have been holes in walls, crying, yelling,
screaming, hope, tears, vomiting, despair and joy
from ALL of them and their families.

ALL OF THEM.

(Kyle's a little sad I didn't manage to work 
in the F word somewhere here.  But I didn't, and 
never have actually used that real word here out
of respect for other people who may be offended by
use of that word.  I guess if you're offended by
the letter 'F'?  That's your problem.)

Now on to our news:


----------------------------------


We have news.

At first we thought it was okay news...but on
closer inspection, it's not as great as we thought.

Next time I'm sending Heidi to the Dr. appt to ask
more pointed questions.

The news is that on our 8 week break, Kyle's 
cancer has spread and grown...which our Dr failed
to mention in detail at Kyle's appt.

He has a new liver tumor and more involvement in
his lymph nodes and his lungs.

Simply put--the cancer is spreading.

Never good news with this cancer.

Or any cancer.

Now for the "good" news.

The Y 90 tumor?  Pretty much dead as a doornail.

But for me, that didn't outweigh the other news.

New tumors and growing cancer give ME a pit in my stomach.

We are off to try chemo again and will start soon.

So many complicated decisions lie ahead of us.

We get to "play God" with Kyle's life depending on
what we chose.  (Just FYI God?  I never want your job!)

Dr Sharma's concerns are this:

1. Kyle will become immune to this chemo.  

   Sadly there is no predicting when that happens.
   One day he will just have no response to it and
   then we know it's not working.

2.  Kyle's platelets.  The longer you stay on this
    chemo the harder it is on Kyle's bone marrow
    and platelets.  It will eventually get to the point
    where his numbers quit rebounding and he can no
    longer stay on this cocktail of chemo.

3.  Neuropathy ....this chemo cocktail can cause numbness
    in Kyle's extremities.  When that happens?  He's done
    with this chemo too.

Anyway, we have an insurance juggling question
and a finances question and a when to start chemo
again question and then we will make our decision.

My vote is tomorrow.  

Kyle is trying to be financially sound--
remember cancer costs a LOT of money, sadly.

I want to start fighting, like yesterday.

He's trying to save a couple thousand dollars.

I usually win the fights in our house, so we'll
see who wins this one. ;)

That's what I've got for today, a little good mixed
in with some not very good.









12 comments:

  1. I was wishing I was there today anyway, so next time I will definitely go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. About both the less than fabulous news and negativity you have received. Many hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave. That's what you are. You have our support and love from around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there - just reading your post after seeing link from Travis' blog. Our family went through a similar journey back in 1999 when our Mum (61yo) was diagnosed with this horrid cancer, back then there were no options available - zero! we lost our beautiful Mum too soon - 2 months after her diagnosis. I so wish I could give you a huge hug as I have been in your shoes - not watching my husband - who is 45yo, but my Mum fight this wretched thing - please feel free to vent to me - anything you want, at anytime! I so wished there was someone available that I could have spoken to/e-mailed/messaged back then.....you and your family are in my thoughts - Kate/NSW/Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michel (dang it am I remembering right?) Michele (sorry my brain cells are fried).

    Thanks Melissa.

    And thank you Kate. I am so sorry you lost your mom to this crappy cancer. I would love to VISIT you in Austrailia :) (ok ok, i can email too) Thanks for reaching out. We certainly appreciate it. Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly. I don't know who people are who think they can tell you that you are handling this wrong. How dare they!?!?! The last thing you precious people need when you are going through what you are going though is judgement, condemnation and negativity. I am so, so sorry that people have added to your pain and sadness. Kudos to you for being real and having the bravery to share your true feelings instead of trying to make everyone else comfortable.

    I am also so sorry that the results were not great and that you had to balance good news with horrible news. I cannot imagine.

    We are praying for you guys and will start praying that the idiots of this world would leave you alone.
    Kristina (Carrie's friend and their blog writer)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kristina! You write a beautiful blog post and are a great friend to Carrie !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always praying for you brave souls. I was a religious user of the F word although I have narrowed it down a lot, and last time I looked, Freedom of Speech was still a Law. so....if they don't like your blog.......FUCK 'EM!! ;-) From one CC patient to another.....hang tough!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If someone can't handle real than they don't have to read. You are beyond brave to allow us into this hell that you are living in real life. I'll throw a few F words out to the Universe in your name if it would help! May those who get offended have the courage to just step away from the monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to read that you have had some negative comments :( I think you are amazing and have a gift for words that I appreciate what you write and love that you let people in. I know when I go through a trial I sure as heck want you in my corner!!! Hang in there. Loves!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Dorien,

    People can be very cruel, judgmental, and negative. Do your best to have no contact with them. Patty said it all for me.

    Until they are there, NO ONE truly understands!

    Go day to day, minute to minute, but that is as hard as hell too!

    Do your best. Do everything that you know possible for Kyle and your family. Have no regrets. I know you can do it. I could say your are strong. You are. But it is no help when your life is being devastated.

    You have many friends that can lend you their energy. Because it is the ultimate in exhaustion. I am talking soul to soul. Take mine when ever you need it.

    The energy will come from a higher power and come through me to you.

    I am always there.

    Love,

    Brent

    ReplyDelete