Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Voices of Cholangiocarcinoma. Voice #1 Becky

A Day In My Life- Friday

On the Outside, this is a day of my life.


I'm a wife & mother . 

- I wake up at 5:30am, my husband is in pain. I sleep next to him in a day bed, he's in a hospital bed. I grab his 5 morning pills and have him take them.

- My boys 15 & 10 years old have no 
          school today. 
          Snow Day!
- The visiting nurse showed up, she comes once 
          a week to our house to check on my husband.
- Make a call to the Dr to request a prescription, 
          it will be ready to pick to up tomorrow.
- I make breakfast, hoping I don't make my 
          husbands nausea kick in.
- He asked for a nausea pill. 
- I get everything in order so I can go out 
          and run errands. I make sure my husband has 
          all he needs next to him and his 4 hr pain meds.
- First stop, Social Security office. I need 
          applications filled out for both our sons. 
          Since to many people called in sick the nice 
          lady said I should come back next week. 
-Got a text from my dearest friend asking if 
         need anything from the grocery store.
-Second stop, The Hospital Pharmacy. I have to 
         pick up more prescriptions for my husband. 
         You can't get these at your local CVS.
-Third stop, UPS Store. I need to fax more 
         documentation to Aetna. We're still waiting for 
         his short term disability to kick in.
- Gas Light goes on, I'm on "E". I wonder if 
         there's any money in our checking account to pay 
         for gas?
- I'm home, and my husband is in serious pain. 
          Is it from the surgery yesterday? The Cancer? 
         What? I need to keep an eye on him.
- My employer got my message that I'm ready to 
          return to work.
- It's 3:30 pm. I am exhausted. 



On the Inside, this is how I'm feeling:

- Please God, take his pain away.
- I love my dog. 
- Ugg, I hope they don't fight.
- I love my kids.
- Not you again, but I smile.
- Why can't they make it a 90 day prescription 
          not 30 days.
- I love my husband.
- Please don't throw up, I know it hurts 
          your body.
- Stupid SS office people.
- I love my friend.
- I hear sirens at the hospital, makes my 
          heartbeat fast with fear.
- Crap, I forgot the fax number. I'm in a 
          public place, don't freak out.
- I'm worried, he's looking kinda yellow.
- I don't want to work...I want to spend as 
          much time with my husband as possible.
- This is exhausting.... 


~Becky.  CC Wife.  
Husband currently doing battle with CC.

----------------------------------

Thank you for sharing a peek into your life Becky.

I love how so many of the "voices" of cancer are
all so different, yet so very much the same.

I have loved reading the stories that have been
sent so far and would love to post any
more that come my way.

I have had some people tell me this is the first time
they've written down their feelings and it was
heart breaking and healing all at once for them.

I have had some people tell me no one wants to
hear their stories.

I've had people thank me for being willing to share them.

I am HONORED to share your stories.

I want to share real voice of real people telling
real stories.  

THIS?  It is real life for us.  And them.

I wish I had a readership of thousands so that the
word could be spread about this disease.

I hope in sharing that it will START raising
some kind of awareness.

Stories by wives and spouses and siblings and friends.

I will try and post them each as quickly as I can.

They are the voices of courage and fear
and hope and grief and pain and ghosts and memories
and cholangiocarcinoma, and love.

4 comments:

  1. Sending many good thoughts to Becky and her family in addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear dear dear friend, Becky. I stumbled up this from Facebook. My heart aches for you, Paul and the boys. Please do not hold it all in. I am here for you in any way you need...even if you just need a hug while you have a good cry. You are at the center of the circle, don't forget that you can dump out to us outer circles any time!! You don't always have to be a duck. ;-) I love you girl. Hugs. Love. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thank you to Dorien and Kyle for this blog. It helps those of us who are 'on the outside' in trying to understand what our dear friend is going through...though I don't think any of us can truly comprehend, we try. Prayers and positive thoughts for you both.

    ReplyDelete