Sunday, March 17, 2013

my husband has cancer

My husband of 22 years was diagnosed with terminal cancer a week ago Friday.

He went from being sick, and me being TERRIFIED he HAD cancer--to actually HAVING cancer all within the space of 48 hours.

Liver cancer.  One of the bad ones.  It' s word I have to keep looking up to even remember what it is, or how to pronounce it.  Why are medical words to complicated and hard to remember?

Like this one.

Cholangiocarcinoma, cancer of the liver bile duct.  
Metastistic cancer, well that means it has spread.  Classifying him as Stage 4.  Ya, that's a bad stage to be at with cancer.

That's where they start telling you about "prolonging life" and "treating your symptoms" and saying things like "no cure".

That's where you find out about chemotherapies like Gemcitabine
and Cisplatin.

This is where you walk into Huntsman Cancer Institute once a week for an 8 hour day and think "Damn, this is real!"

This is where I will blog about it, and him and my family and our journey.

I will be real, I may swear, I promise I will cry.  We invite you to follow along if you like.

This will be our journey.  Kyle's journey.  The joy the sorrow. The ups and downs.  The path we take as we move forward.  I will try and keep people updated along the way.

This is what I've got for today....

Stay tuned to see what comes next.

Love,
Dorien & Kyle

12 comments:

  1. Just know you're not on the journey alone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have started a blog. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers! We love your family. If anyone can fight this, You and Kyle can. Loves!!! xoxo Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to be able to keep with you. We're praying in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are here for you Dorien and Kyle if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My prayers are with you, my husband has been battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer for 1 year, they didn't give him this long a year ago. We are still in the battle and draw great strength from the Lord and our friends... from one caregiver to another, you are not alone, and don't allow yourself to become isolated either. My prayer is for God's hand and complete healing for your husband. Feel free to contact me with questions or just to talk to someone who is walking it too... I understand things like Gemcitabine, and ports, and the up and down of the pain management. Be encouraged, that the doctors only know what they know, there is a big God out there who is the great physician, He is who we are placing our faith in for healing, and who gets us through the day to day.
    God Bless and Strengthen you for the battle ahead, and we are praying for a victory!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention that take the link to my blog if you want to see a little of our story, I didn't start it until Sept, when my husband had hit a strong time in the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dorien, I don't know you, but I was one of Kyle's companions in Italy. In Milano actually. We had a good time together and worked hard. Definitely one of the coolest companions I had. I am so sad to learn about this new journey you both are having to take together, but that is,in a strange way, the beauty of it...that you are able to do it together. My prayers are with you and your family as you battle this together, and I pray that the Lord will comfort you along the way as only He can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorien-
    My heart is full to learn that you and your family must battle this cancer. It sucks, seems so unfair etc. etc. etc. Please add my name to the list of people that will be rooting for you along the way and praying for a miracle.

    Much love from an old friend..
    DeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that our paths have crossed & that we can get through this together, even if we are states away, our journey is the same. My hubby has stage 4 cholangiocarcinoma as well. My hubby is 42 & was diagnosed October of 2011, doctor told him 12-18 months, we are in month 18 now & he is doing very well. With our hubbys being so young, that will pull them through, this cancer is very rare & especially the age bracket usually strikes older people. Keep the faith you two. Mike & I will add you to our prayers. XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes..I am in the same shoes and I can hardly breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rochelle, I'm just seeing your comment. (I'm bad at looking at comments)...I'm so sorry. I'm just so sorry~ :( IT.SUCKS.

    ReplyDelete


















  12. Hello viewers all over the world am fred monica, I want to testify of what Dreziza do for me. i was having a very notorious and serious sickness called HIV i contacted these infection from my ex husband and was very in lost of hope i never believed i was going to be cured until i meant these great man called dreziza who God send to help me cure my sickness . just a few moment with these great man he cured my infection i want you to know that all hope is not lost until every thing is done if you also have these following infections contact these email drezizatemple@yahoo.com now.
    HIV/aids
    typhoid fever
    gonorrhea
    lancer fever.
    epilency.
    lung cancer.
    and also these man can also help you in giving you a very good help just give him a try and your problems will be solved just a contact with him.once again here is his email drezizatemple@yahoo.com; all call him +2348104933655 All thanks to dr. eziza Regard. GOOGLUCK..........











    ReplyDelete