Monday, March 25, 2013

nocturnal


This post is very full of raw emotion.  I warned you I would
not sugar coat the bad moments.

To write for me is cathartic and healing and I will not 
apologize for the angst and pain that is very real in these words.

I will not, NOT feel.

I promise I will write of beauty and hope when I have that too.

This weekend was tough, and so I write to remember these times 
as well.

Remember how I said nights are the worst?

Well, they are.

Sleep comes sometimes in fragmented lengths of minutes and hours.

Sometimes we wake up and talk for an hour or two, or hold each
other and then go back to sleep.

Exhausted.

Last night we lay in bed and looked at the clock.

It read 9:55.  P.M.

We laughed at ourselves and said, "You know you have cancer when
you're in bed at 9:55..."

Soon Kyle's breathing was even and he fell asleep.

I don't remember sleeping, but woke at 11:30 and he was gone from the bed.

His body has new aches and pains.  

Liver cancer also causes strange body temperature fluctuations.

Sometimes he is freezing and sometimes he is flushed and hot.

He has to adjust his sleeping arrangements to help adjust 
his body temperature. 

He starts in our bed and sometimes has to move to the floor
to regulate temperature.

Hot to cool.

Sometimes he heads to the basement couch.

Cool to cooler.

At which point I always wake in a panic and call his name begging 
him to start all over in the bed.

Last night, I had a bad dream.

Three times.

And went back to sleep.

On my own.

Twice.

At 3:30 I woke again.

Another bad dream.

Guns and trains and cowboys, go figure!

The third time...

At 5 A.M., I woke again with a sob caught in my throat.

THIS dream, the one hanging on in my subconscious, was about death and dying.

I couldn't breath,

I couldn't breath,

I couldn't breath,

and I couldn't feel my husband beside me.

I called him name, dreading the fact that I was waking him--
yet needing him beside me to sooth and calm my soul.

He came, because he is Kyle, and held me.

My body racked with sobs as I tried to tell him that even 
though I was awake, the nightmare had not gone away.

And I wonder HOW I will find the strength to exist and breath
and continue when he is not here to hold me.

I share these feelings, because they are raw.

And real.

It feels like the pain has been rubbed by sandpaper this weekend.

Sometimes there are NO WORDS that can soothe me.

I desperately claw for comfort, 

From somewhere.

From something.

It doesn't come.

No prayer, or book, or meditation, or promise of hope, can fill me with the peace I desperately seek.

And so my husband holds me and tells me he loves me 

here

and now.

And this is what I've got for today...

(I'm sorry this one was so depressing, but sometimes 
cancer is depressing.)


7 comments:

  1. And you have every right to write all you want no matter what it is, because you say it best and I feel it with you and sob because Cancer sucks and cancer is depressing and I love you both and wish I could take this all away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sucks so bad. I'm so sorry Dor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hear you, and we are ready to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you! I put your names on the prayer roll in the Logan Temple today. It's hard to believe it's already been 3 weeks. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorien & Kyle, you both just hold each other as much as much you'd like... You are each other's support system and that's what love is. Sleep schedules can be delayed for a bit...especially if you're talking, crying, WHATEVER because you're both cheriishing EVERY SECOND together. I pray EVERY DAY for your whole family! Remember...we're NOT "hero's", just human.

      Delete
  5. It's not fair and it does suck and y'all stay on my mind and in my prayers constantly.

    ReplyDelete