Sunday, May 5, 2013

Looking Beyond The (Dirty) Glass

This past week Kyle had a work conference in Park City.

He's on a committee and had worked on this weeks conference for
almost an entire year.

He spent Wednesday night alone and had me come up to 
the "big dinner and entertainment" on Thursday with him.

Who am I to complain about a night away with my husband?

There are, after all, a finite number of these nights left now.

And besides that, I love Park City in the warmer weather.
(Not being a skier and having an aversion to snow and cold 
weather, I love it when the temperatures warm up, up there.)

(And I know...what I am doing living in Utah, right? 
We have snow from October to May...I need a house in San Diego)

I wish I could say that I am always happy and cheerful
and enjoying each moment.

I WILL SAY that I am trying REALLY really really hard to do better.

In fact, sometimes, for a moment I forget.

(about the cancer).

I wish I had the capability, and capacity, to do it for
longer periods of time.

I wish I could explain how very heavy the word "terminal"
weighs on my heart.

My mind.

My soul.

Some days it STILL squeezes the very breath out of my whole body.

Some days I STILL erupt into uncontrollable tears, and sob.

Some days I am STILL so angry at this, this $#&*@&&# THING, for happening.

Some days I STILL want to curl up and quit.

I want to run away.  Make it stop.

Some days.

But that night, the dinner was good.  It was nice to be away
with him.

I got to meet some of my husbands colleagues and enjoy
real "grown up" time.  (It felt so weird to be among working
people after so many years as a stay at home mother)

They had a local music group (an a capella "boy band") for the
entertainment.  

They were cute and funny and could even sing!

And I did great until the band started singing.

Because music has ALWAYS had a way of going straight to my heart.

(argh!)

It made me a little teary.

I saw a few dads hold their kids tight.

And husbands reach for their wives hands.

It made my heart crunch a little.

(cancer)

(the future)

(*&#$^@*@)

ENJOY THE MOMENT, I screamed inside of my head, to myself.

And a tear slipped down my cheek.

I pinched my hands and bit my tongue to stop the tears from
continuing.

At a certain point, Kyle grabbed my hand and led me from the conference room back to our room.  

I could barely contain the sobs as we walked down the hotel
hallway to the elevator.  My shoulders heaved and I hiccuped 
as I stifled my tears.

(I'm trying)

(I'm trying)

(Oh, how I'm trying)

(But)

(It's so hard when someone you love has this, this thing)

As usual, Kyle held me and calmed my soul.

We lit a fire in the fireplace, and watched the sunset, and 
talked.

It was good to simply be.

Simply be in that moment.

The next day I woke up early (6 am) and looked out the window
at the sun peeking up over the mountains.

I climbed back in bed and then told Kyle I was sorry, but we
were waking up and watching the sunrise.

We grabbed the pillows and blanket and lay down on the huge
window seat with our faces peeking out over the window sill
and watched the sun make its journey slowly over the horizon.

As we were watching, I noticed how dirty the windows were.

They were filthy.  Good heavens, winter had been hard on them!

The sun shining on them only showcased the dirt.

The higher the sun rose, and the brighter the light became,
the less you noticed the dirt on the windows however.

In fact, by the time the sun had finished her journey up,
and over, the mountains...you could ONLY see the beams of
light and nothing else.

Even though the dirt was still there, on the window, the 
light was more powerful than the grime.

You couldn't see it anymore.

I told Kyle there was a lesson in that sunrise somewhere.

(cancer)

Sometimes the only thing we can see in front of our
eyes right now is ...the dirt, the cancer.  

Sometimes it obliterates and blocks even the most beautiful, and
joyful, things in our lives.

Our view is so focused on the daily fight, we sometimes forget
to enjoy the beauty of the journey.

That sun shining even in the darkest moments.

Sometimes that beauty, it takes our breath away.

And sometimes the dirty windows? 
They bring us down.

I told Kyle there HAD TO be a way to focus more on the rising
sun, than on the dirty windows.

Honestly?  The rising sun, in all her glory, took our breath
away.  There was no where else I wanted to be than right
there, in that moment, watching the sun rise before our eyes.

(baby steps to looking past the dirty windows)

There is still so much unknown in this journey.

So many time frames and tests and numbers and chemo days and scans and doctor visits and blood work and waiting and trying.

For today, this is what I've got...

A pledge to TRY... 

(always a little harder) 

...to be in the moment and see the beauty
in the sunrise of each new day.

...and to look past the dirty windows and bask in the glow
of the warming rays of light.



Our view from the windowseat at 6 am

I wasn't kidding about the dirty windows, was I?






...and we watched the sunrise and then put on our 
Superman shirts and went to Round Six of chemo.

3 comments:

  1. As always....this is so beautifully written. You have such a beautiful way of expressing yourself. I cry every time I read your blog. :)

    Thank you for the chat today...I could seriously sit and talk to you the entire day. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys next week.

    XOXO
    Keely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I wish I could just be with you all the time and learn from you and maybe learn with you and share with you. Your writing makes me laugh and cry and feel and think and wish and want. I feel like I am interrupting YOUR family time by just showing up to spend time with you, but I want to be part of all of you because it is so powerful. You write and share so amazingly. I'm rambling because I'm just so overwhelmed by my own thoughts and feelings. I love you. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there's one lesson you learn from going through cancer (there are so many), but one of the greatest is to enjoy the moment. I often think of last year (when Annie was in treatment) as The Year With No Seasons. I was enjoying every moment with Annie, with our family, that I didn't notice the world changing around me. I only knew our cancer world. It wasn't until the fall when Annie was finished with chemo, that I was driving up Parley's Canyon and noticed the leaves changing to reds and yellows. I think it was the first time in a long time that I really looked at anything outside. You've already learned this lesson--to enjoy all the sunrises, sunsets and time together. Love you!

    ReplyDelete