Wednesday, August 14, 2013

We Are Family, I Got All My Sisters (And Brothers) With Me!!

We are Family.  La la la la la la la di da.  

Families are about a lot of things.

We go through life together and learn to appreciate
the good things, with the bad things, along the way.
 We look up when times are tough.


 We watch the waves roll in....and see what 
the tide brings in with it.
 We stand together when times are tough.
 We contemplate life and the meaning behind the
things it seemingly hands us in our lives.

 We have fun together.
 We throw balls and play catch.
 As families, we stand together and look toward the future.
Sometimes, we don't like what we see.  
 Sometimes long shadows fall upon us.
 And we have to reach down and lift someone up.  
Because that is just what families do.  We lift.
 And we hold on when things are hard and we feel like crying.
 Sometimes life gives us the BEST surprises that fill
our hearts with joy.  
Little things that make our days feel brighter.
And make our love grow.  Larger and deeper and 
more than we ever thought possible.  
Familes, we can conquer the hard things TOGETHER.
 Even when we come in different sizes and shapes and colors.  That's what gives us spice and makes a family interesting.
 Families have bonds that are unbreakable.  Even when people come
and go, they are always welcome to go and come back.
 Families are made of brothers.  And sisters.
 Parents and Grandparents.
 Generations linked together through common blood.
Sometimes family members loose a little hair.  
Even when they DON'T have chemo! 
 Families make memories together.
 Families LISTEN, and help the little guys  
 eat sand covered crackers at the beach. 
 Families hang loose together.
  Families tell stories together.  And MAKE stories together.
 They gather 'round the creations of others.  
And find joy in supporting the good that others have 
done, all in a hard days work.
 They dance together.  And laugh together.  And 'dip' together.
 They build sand sharks together.  And flex muscles together.
 And wear Chinese Rice Patty Farmer Hats at the beach.
 They hold each others hands and become "besties" with cousins.
 They play in the ocean together.
 They create together and find joy in creating.
 They look good in sunhats.
 Families pose together for pictures and look good even UN-posed.
 Families love and give and fling their arms wide open to 
embrace all that life sends their way!  
Families stand behind each other in support.
 Families have joy.  And sorrow. And try and find ways 
to smile, even when times are hard.  Cuz sometimes they are.
Hard.
 Families dance to the music even when no one is listening.
 And are possibly even in touch with their "inner dance moves". If they have them! :) haha
 Families hold each other up and hug and love when no one 
else can, or does.  We wrap our arms around each other 
and just hold on.
And last but not least...

Some families flip off the camera.
In family pictures.
When the mom taking pictures says, "Say Cancer!"
It's automatic, what can I say?

"Cancer" = "Middle finger"

It's as good as any magic trick I've ever seen performed.

THIS family says "F. YOU Cancer!!" at the beach 
in family pictures.  And laughs about it. 
Because we can laugh, or we
can cry. 

And some days we DO.  
Cry.  

But some days we do.
Laugh. 

And some days we say 'Screw It' to cancer and it feels
really good to just stick our middle finger in the air
and tell the cancer it can take a hike.

Families are the best, and the worst, and the hardest, 
and the easiest, and the most comfortable, and the place 
where it all hits the fan.  Families are love.

I am so grateful for this group of 6 people who are 
intimately mine in the world. 

The Kyle Nielson's.  

I am grateful for extended family who complete 
other circles in our lives.  
I am grateful for friends who have permanently moved 
from 'friend' status to 'family' status forever in my life.

I'm grateful for laughter and love.  
The two things that
have held us up during the darkest days.

Family.
It's what we've got.
And that's what I've got for today!

(sorry, not sorry, for the bad finger.  You all should
just be used to it by now.  Remember cancer is way worse
than the finger.)






6 comments:

  1. Tears are streaming down my face as I read this. I know this may sound...I don't know stupid? But I really wish I would have been able to have that kind of time before my Dad died. His cancer took him so fast. However, it did bring back so many memories that we had over the years! You guys are such an inspiration to me!!! Thank you so very much for sharing your journey! You have no idea how much you have inspired me!

    I am so sorry that you guys are dealing with this! Please know you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Can I get some copies of these pics? They are fabulous and they weave together a story so needed and wow...I'm just so overwhelmed with emotions as I look at these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry Jana Maughan. I had someone on FB tell me that it will be "worth it" when kyle dies. That my kids and me will learn enough good lessons from this that his dying will be "worth it". I'm sure you would have a good answer about not having a dad. For me? NEVER "worth it" to have kids growing up without a dad. Do we learn from this and grow? Sure! But still NOT WORTH IT to have no dad around. (people are kind of dumb sometimes!) Anyway, we are grateful, ever grateful, for time to make memories. Not sure they will fill dark holes when that day comes, but they will help. Hopefully just a little bit.

    Wendy-we have thousands more pictures, you are welcome to some copies for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post, Dorien and Family. Looks like a great time on the beach with family. And it reminded me of my Grandma, who always flipped me off when I'd leave from her house; somehow, it meant, "I love you." I also like when it means what it really means. I think your family does the bird finger well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorien & Kyle,

    Drove 14 hrs today for a funeral tomorrow for my wife's college roommate. she was 37, 4 kids and had breast cancer.

    i really hope you make that picture with all those birds flying your new family photo. that was awesome!

    because today.... yeah. cancer....F.U.

    Chris S from ATF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Wade and Chris! For your love support and friendship
    from far away! We appreciate it--and yes Chris it would make a GREAT family picture.

    ReplyDelete